spamassassin-3.4.0-0.qt available in /testing/
Eric Shubert
2014-09-11 18:29:06 UTC
While researching my latest increase in spam (hidden text in html
problem, see Special-case spam filter thread recently), I got some help
from John Hardin on the spamassassin list. He did some testing of the
samples, and informed me that the latest spamassassin-3.4.0 fired the
associated rule properly. Our 3.3.2 version had not.

Although I hesitate to install any .0 version of anything, the 3.4.0
version of SA underwent significant testing before its release 7 months
ago, which is evident in that there's been no 3.4.1 version release
since then (which I would normally have expected).

So I think it's safe to give 3.4.0 a go with QMT and have build the rpms
for it. They're available in the yum qmailtoaster-testing repo. While I
haven't had a chance to install this yet in any of my QMT hosts,
everyone's welcome to give it a go if you'd like. Just don't install it
in a critical production host. Wait for it to be /current/ before doing
that.

Note, I don't expect to make this version available as a legacy
(spamassassin-toaster) package. If someone can make a good case for
doing so though (like creating the updated srpm), I wouldn't be against
putting it in the repos. I simply don't have the time to do it now, and
my time is better spent elsewhere on the project (like getting the next
qmail release done).

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'

Eric Broch
2014-09-11 20:12:10 UTC
Post by Eric Shubert
[...]
Hey EricS,

Is this 3.4.0 version a stock out-of-the-box version that one might
obtain from the CentOS repository?

Eric

Eric Broch
Eric Shubert
2014-09-11 22:02:34 UTC
Post by Eric Broch
Post by Eric Broch
Post by Eric Shubert
[...]
Sorry,
Just checked. CentOS is still on 3.3.2.
Eric
Ha! :)

It's pretty close actually (now that it's not run by supervise), but I
think there's some goodies in our version such as configuration tweaks
and setting up of sa-update. Check github to see what's in there.

I expect that we'll always want our own version of a few packages such
as SA and clamav because we want to be a little closer to the bleeding
edge than the base distros.

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'