QMail seems to have stopped reporting delivery failures.
Tony White
2014-08-21 07:43:51 UTC
Hi folks,
Has anyone any idea why qmt has stopped reporting delivery failures please?
I sent an email this afternoon and watch the log for send. The email delivery
attempt was made with a 451 error but nothing resulted in my mailbox.
--
best wishes
Tony White

Dan McAllister
2014-08-21 13:02:46 UTC
Post by Tony White
Hi folks,
Has anyone any idea why qmt has stopped reporting delivery failures please?
I sent an email this afternoon and watch the log for send. The email delivery
attempt was made with a 451 error but nothing resulted in my mailbox.
Tony:

Error numbers in the 400's usually mean "retry later"
Error numbers in the 500's usually mean "it's dead, Jim"

Typically, there is no message generated when a 4xx return is
encountered, as the message is simply re-queued and tried again later.
(Unless/until the message times out).

I ran into a really nasty problem with this in an Exchange server,
because the messages to a journalling host (think TAP) were failing due
to SPAM control, but the errors (because it was a journalling rule) were
always re-written to a 4xx message -- the result being the send queue
getting EXTREMELY full!

I hope this helps.

Dan McAllister
--