BASH
SYS
2014-09-25 23:01:19 UTC
Important.
Possibly on all Unix, Linux and OSX platforms

Bash vulnerability: As seen on TV CNN etc

Diagnostic Steps

To test if your version of Bash is vulnerable to this issue, run the
following command:

$ env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test"

If the output of the above command looks as follows:

vulnerable
this is a test

you are using a vulnerable version of Bash. The patch used to fix this
issue ensures that no code is allowed after the end of a Bash function.
Thus, if you run the above example with the patched version of Bash, you
should get an output similar to:

$ env x='() { :;}; echo vulnerable' bash -c "echo this is a test"
bash: warning: x: ignoring function definition attempt
bash: error importing function definition for `x'
this is a test

Possibly can stop using a firewall rule:

iptables -A INPUT -m string --algo bm --hex-string '|28 29 20 7B|' -j DROP

*then save iptables etc.*

I ran the first part on my qmail-toaster servers, and was at risk.

Dave M
SYS
2014-09-25 23:02:09 UTC
Read more here :

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223

Dave M

Eric Shubert
2014-09-26 00:00:32 UTC
Post by SYS
https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223
Dave M
This came across my radar yesterday. Many sysadmins busy applying the
fix today.

QMT hosts can:
# yum update bash
to fix it.

No restarting or rebooting should be necessary (ttbomk).
--
-Eric 'shubes'

David Milholen
2014-10-09 12:12:28 UTC
I am developing a giant ROBOT with fiber connections to seek out and
DESTROY all
HAXORS that are bad. BEWARE it has Claws!