dovecot upgrade
Peter Peltonen
2014-10-16 21:57:07 UTC
As one needs at least dovecot version 2.1 to be able to disable SSLv3,
I would need to upgrade my old dovecot-2.0.17-2.qtp packages to newer
ones.

I thought I just grab the packages from the latest bunch of .qt
pacakges, but upgrading to those didn't work out:

# rpm -Fvh dovecot-2.2.7-0.qt.el5.i386.rpm

warning: dovecot-2.2.7-0.qt.el5.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID 1bde5fd0

error: Failed dependencies:

libcourierauth.so.0 is needed by (installed)
maildrop-toaster-2.0.3-1.3.8.i686

I do not quite get what libcourierauth has to do with dovecot and why
do I get this error?

# rpm -qf /usr/lib/courier-authlib/libcourierauth.so.0
courier-authlib-toaster-0.59.2-1.3.10

Any advice how I should proceed in getting a newer version of dovecot installed?

Peter

Eric Shubert
2014-10-18 00:03:18 UTC
Post by Peter Peltonen
As one needs at least dovecot version 2.1 to be able to disable SSLv3,
I would need to upgrade my old dovecot-2.0.17-2.qtp packages to newer
ones.
I thought I just grab the packages from the latest bunch of .qt
# rpm -Fvh dovecot-2.2.7-0.qt.el5.i386.rpm
NOKEY, key ID 1bde5fd0
libcourierauth.so.0 is needed by (installed)
maildrop-toaster-2.0.3-1.3.8.i686
I do not quite get what libcourierauth has to do with dovecot and why
do I get this error?
# rpm -qf /usr/lib/courier-authlib/libcourierauth.so.0
courier-authlib-toaster-0.59.2-1.3.10
Any advice how I should proceed in getting a newer version of dovecot installed?
Peter
I think it's failing because it's trying to get rid of libcourierauth,
and maildrop-toaster needs that.

If you don't use the spambox option or otherwise use maildrop, you might
be able to simply remove maildrop-toaster. There might be some
dependency with qmail-admin though, I'm not sure.

The new packages are pretty much compatible with the legacy *-toaster
systems though. You should be able to use them in some cases instead
(dovecot especially), even to the point of using yum to install/update
them. Note, I haven't personally tried this though, it is only "in
theory". ;)

Let us know how you make out.
Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'

Peter Peltonen
2014-10-19 19:23:48 UTC
Hi,
If you don't use the spambox option or otherwise use maildrop, you might be
able to simply remove maildrop-toaster. There might be some dependency with
qmail-admin though, I'm not sure.
I do use maildrop, so removing it is not an option...

What is the reason for dovecot to remove libcourierauth as the earlier
version does not require that?

Can I edit the spec file and remove that requirement?

Regards,
Peter

Eric Shubert
2014-10-22 01:41:52 UTC
Post by Peter Peltonen
Hi,
If you don't use the spambox option or otherwise use maildrop, you might be
able to simply remove maildrop-toaster. There might be some dependency with
qmail-admin though, I'm not sure.
I do use maildrop, so removing it is not an option...
What is the reason for dovecot to remove libcourierauth as the earlier
version does not require that?
Can I edit the spec file and remove that requirement?
Regards,
Peter
maildrop-toaster shouldn't need libcourierauth. The maildrop (repackaged
for the new QMT) doesn't need it. Yum is trying to remove
courier-authlib-toaster because dovecot obsoletes
courier-authlib-toaster. Technically I suppose it doesn't, but it
obsoletes courier-imap-toaster, and so there's no longer a need for
courier-authlib-toaster, except apparently for the errant maildrop-toaster.

You should be able to install the dovecot package and tell it to ignore
dependencies. That should be safe.

Better yet, so long as you're using dovecot's pop3 instead of
qmail-pop3d, you should be able to remove courier-authlib-toaster. If it
complains, I'd try removing it ignoring dependencies. If this breaks
maildrop-toaster for some reason (it shouldn't), then remove
maildrop-toaster and install maildrop from the new repo.

Let us know what you end up doing, Peter.

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'