smtp greeting
Eric Broch
2014-09-17 21:35:08 UTC
Hello list,

Can anyone tell me why, when I telnet to one of my email servers over
port 25 that the SMTP greeting is starred (*) out, but if I telnet to
the same server over the submission port I get the standard greeting. As
follows:

# telnet host.domain.com 25
Trying 'host address'
Connected to 'host address'
Escape character is '^]'
220 *************************************************************

# telnet host.domain.com 587
Trying 'host address'
Connected to 'host address'
Escape character is '^]'
220 smtp server greeting

And, will this affect my SMTP email reception in any way?

Eric

Eric Shubert
2014-09-18 00:03:13 UTC
Post by Eric Broch
Hello list,
Can anyone tell me why, when I telnet to one of my email servers over
port 25 that the SMTP greeting is starred (*) out, but if I telnet to
the same server over the submission port I get the standard greeting. As
# telnet host.domain.com 25
Trying 'host address'
Connected to 'host address'
Escape character is '^]'
220 *************************************************************
# telnet host.domain.com 587
Trying 'host address'
Connected to 'host address'
Escape character is '^]'
220 smtp server greeting
Looks to me like there is some other host that's receiving the port 25
traffic, like a firewall/proxy device of some sort, that's either
intercepting or altering the 220 reply. If you're not seeing any
tcpserver lines in the smtp log, then it'd be the former. If you do see
corresponding tcpserver log messages, then it'd be the later.
Post by Eric Broch
And, will this affect my SMTP email reception in any way?
I wouldn't think so. It would keep your server from being counted in
some polling that's done to see what kind of mail servers people are
using. It's for that reason that I encourage people to leave the "Qmail
Toaster Ver. 1.3" string in there. I probably should bump up that
version for the new packages. ;)
--
-Eric 'shubes'

Jaime Ventura
2014-09-18 00:57:46 UTC
Hey,

Did you tried googling it? "telnet smtp 220 asterisks"?
Looks like is a cisco feature.

Cheers,
Eric Broch
2014-09-18 04:35:21 UTC
I tried "telnet smtp 25 '*'" and nothing, but your suggestion worked.
Thanks!!!
Post by Jaime Ventura
Hey,
Did you tried googling it? "telnet smtp 220 asterisks"?
Looks like is a cisco feature.
Cheers,
Hello list,
Can anyone tell me why, when I telnet to one of my email servers over
port 25 that the SMTP greeting is starred (*) out, but if I telnet to
the same server over the submission port I get the standard greeting. As
# telnet host.domain.com <http://host.domain.com> 25
Trying 'host address'
Connected to 'host address'
Escape character is '^]'
220 *************************************************************
# telnet host.domain.com <http://host.domain.com> 587
Eric Broch
Eric Shubert
2014-09-18 12:37:01 UTC
I don't know much about sonic walls, but if it has any mail (port 25)
'features', I'd turn them off if possible. spamdyke does a fine job in
and of itself. QMT doesn't reallly need to be behind any type of smtp
filter or proxy. In fact, Sam is considering modifying spamdyke such
that it can be more readily used as an smtp proxy.

FWIW.
--
-Eric 'shubes'