Fwd: failure notice (from "anonymous@strangecode.com")
Quinn Comendant
2006-10-05 08:20:16 UTC
Some hours after I brought my new QT online, I received this message,
and with it I as my first bag-o-questions.

1. Qmail tried sending the original cron error to ***@strangecode.com.
Where did it get this? Is it a virtual user, or from /etc/aliases?
[***@one/0 ~]$egrep ^root /etc/aliases
root: ***@strangecode.com

2. What are the relationships between vpopmail users, unix accounts,
and /etc/aliases? What is the chain that determines message delivery?

3. Where did ***@strangecode.com come from?

4. Where did strangecode.com come from? Has that automatically been
compiled-in as the default domain by the toaster?

5. And the original cause of this error is, I'm guessing, because the
clamd log files were empty?

Much appreciation from Chico CA @ 1am.

Quinn

Date: 5 Oct 2006 00:45:15 -0000
From: MAILER-***@one.strangecode.com
To: ***@strangecode.com

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at one.strangecode.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

Connected to 72.3.142.43 but sender was rejected.

Date: 5 Oct 2006 00:30:02 -0000
From: ***@strangecode.com (Cron Daemon)
To: ***@strangecode.com
Subject: Cron <***@one> env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg
/usr/share/toaster/mrtg/qmailmrtg.cfg 2>&1 > /dev/null

WARNING: Problem with External get '/usr/bin/qmailmrtg C
/var/log/qmail/clamd':
Expected a Number for 'in' but got 'failed to open dir
/var/log/qmail/clamd'

WARNING: Problem with External get '/usr/bin/qmailmrtg C
/var/log/qmail/clamd':
Expected a Number for 'out' but nothing'

ERROR: Target[clamd][_IN_] ' $target->[2]{$mode} ' did not eval into
defined data
ERROR: Target[clamd][_OUT_] ' $target->[2]{$mode} ' did not eval into
defined data

Quinn Comendant
2006-10-05 08:59:06 UTC
I answered this one myself:
/var/qmail/control/defaultdomain

<blush> Obviously I'm new to Qmail.

Erik Espinoza
2006-10-05 09:09:08 UTC
Post by Quinn Comendant
Some hours after I brought my new QT online, I received this message,
and with it I as my first bag-o-questions.
Where did it get this? Is it a virtual user, or from /etc/aliases?
That cron is from qmailmrtg, the thing responsible for
http://server/stats-toaster/
Post by Quinn Comendant
2. What are the relationships between vpopmail users, unix accounts,
and /etc/aliases? What is the chain that determines message delivery?
No relation. /etc/aliases is a sendmail thing
I think it's a default "no reply" e-mail address used by the crontabs.
Post by Quinn Comendant
4. Where did strangecode.com come from? Has that automatically been
compiled-in as the default domain by the toaster?
it's in /var/qmail/control.

Reading up on lifewithqmail.org or the qmailtoaster wiki will help you out.
Post by Quinn Comendant
5. And the original cause of this error is, I'm guessing, because the
clamd log files were empty?
Naw, it's a regular error that comes frm mrtg upon failures. Those go
away after a few entries are added to the mrtg db.
Post by Quinn Comendant
Quinn
Jake Vickers
2006-10-05 12:48:30 UTC
Post by Quinn Comendant
Some hours after I brought my new QT online, I received this message,
and with it I as my first bag-o-questions.
Where did it get this? Is it a virtual user, or from /etc/aliases?
2. What are the relationships between vpopmail users, unix accounts,
and /etc/aliases? What is the chain that determines message delivery?
4. Where did strangecode.com come from? Has that automatically been
compiled-in as the default domain by the toaster?
5. And the original cause of this error is, I'm guessing, because the
clamd log files were empty?
As a side note, you can define what email addresses to send email to
***@strangecode.com and ***@strangecode.com by changing the
.qmail files in /var/qmail/alias/ and sending them to a real email
address. I usually just sym link .qmail-root to .qmail-anonymous since I
have them going to the same place (as Erik said, for cron jobs).

Quinn Comendant
2006-10-05 21:15:33 UTC
Post by Jake Vickers
As a side note, you can define what email addresses to send email to
.qmail files in /var/qmail/alias/ and sending them to a real email
address. I usually just sym link .qmail-root to .qmail-anonymous
since I have them going to the same place (as Erik said, for cron
jobs).
I see how this works. Does anybody recommend giving all unix
accounts/pseudo-accounts on the machine have an alias? As it is, none
will receive mail, for example: `echo 'Hey you!' | mail apache -s 'msg
to apache'` results in a failure notice.

Below are all the pseudo account aliases from my /etc/aliases. Which
incidentally isn't technically part of sendmail...
[***@one/0 ~]$rpm -qf /etc/aliases
setup-2.5.37-1.3
But Qmail definitely doesn't use it.

# Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present.
mailer-daemon: postmaster
postmaster: root

# General redirections for pseudo accounts.
bin: root
daemon: root
adm: root
lp: root
sync: root
shutdown: root
halt: root
mail: root
news: root
uucp: root
operator: root
games: root
gopher: root
ftp: root
nobody: root
radiusd: root
nut: root
dbus: root
vcsa: root
canna: root
wnn: root
rpm: root
nscd: root
pcap: root
apache: root
webalizer: root
dovecot: root
fax: root
quagga: root
radvd: root
pvm: root
amanda: root
privoxy: root
ident: root
named: root
xfs: root
gdm: root
mailnull: root
postgres: root
sshd: root
smmsp: root
postfix: root
netdump: root
ldap: root
squid: root
ntp: root
mysql: root
desktop: root
rpcuser: root
rpc: root
nfsnobody: root

ingres: root
system: root
toor: root
manager: root
dumper: root
abuse: root

# mailman aliases
mailman: postmaster
mailman-owner: mailman

newsadm: news
newsadmin: news
usenet: news
ftpadm: ftp
ftpadmin: ftp
ftp-adm: ftp
ftp-admin: ftp
www: webmaster
webmaster: root
noc: root
security: root
hostmaster: root
info: postmaster
marketing: postmaster
sales: postmaster
support: postmaster

# trap decode to catch security attacks
decode: root

# Person who should get root's mail
#root: marc
backup: root
root: ***@strangecode.com

Eric "Shubes"
2006-10-05 21:34:27 UTC
Post by Quinn Comendant
Post by Jake Vickers
As a side note, you can define what email addresses to send email to
.qmail files in /var/qmail/alias/ and sending them to a real email
address. I usually just sym link .qmail-root to .qmail-anonymous
since I have them going to the same place (as Erik said, for cron
jobs).
I see how this works. Does anybody recommend giving all unix
accounts/pseudo-accounts on the machine have an alias? As it is, none
will receive mail, for example: `echo 'Hey you!' | mail apache -s 'msg
to apache'` results in a failure notice.
I think this would be a good idea, but troublesome to implement in the basic
toaster, due to (possible) distro variations. What if we write a script to
generate the /var/qmail/alias entries from the /etc/aliases file? We could
include it with the qt-plus package. Any interest in this?
--
-Eric 'shubes'