spamassassin-3.4.0-2.qt is available in testing repo
Eric Shubert
2014-09-19 23:58:33 UTC
I've fixed a few problems with the upgrading of this release (hence the
-2), and I think it's ready for public consumption now.

With this release, the configuration files are now in /etc/spamassassin/
instead of /etc/mail/spamassassin/. I've always thought that the
/etc/mail/ directory was superfluous. Once maildrop is gone, so will be
that directory.

I've been running this release for over a week now, and it appears to be
stable. There is one patch I needed to create so that bayes updates
properly when spamd uses the -x setting (which qmt does). I'm a little
disappointed that they haven't made a 3.4.1 release yet, as that bug had
a fix submitted for it back in February. Anyhow, now that I've done our
own custom patch for it, 3.4.1 will probably be out soon. Such is life.

I won't be promoting this until I hear from a few of you out there that
you've installed it successfully. That's what the testing repo is for.
Once I hear of a few successes, I'll promote it to current/.

To update your spamassassin using the testing repo:
# yum --enablerepo=qmailtoaster-testing update spamassassin
will do the trick.

Note, I don't intend to roll a spamassassin-toaster (legacy) package for
this or any further spamassassin releases. I think I mentioned this already.

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'

Finn Buhelt

Eric Shubert
2014-09-21 03:01:10 UTC
Great, Finn. Glad to hear it.

Who's next?

FWIW, you won't need to upgrade again once it's promoted to current/.
When that happens, the rpms are simply moved over to the current/ repo.
So you'll simply be ahead of the game by updating from the testing/ repo. :)

Thanks Finn.
--
-Eric 'shubes'
Philip
2014-09-23 13:42:09 UTC
Hello Eric
I am pretty sure there are still a lot of "legacy" qmail toaster running
completely stopping support isnt the best to do I think
There arent that many packages to update, beside clamav and maybe this
time spamassassin, rest is frozen
But just being limited to centos5 and 6 , no more fedora or centos7(yet)
or any rpm base distrib that could be easily tweaked ...
lesser work but lesser user too at the end .. if you are limited to only
1 distrib
Tony White

Eric Shubert
2014-09-24 00:47:56 UTC
Yeah, I know. Don't you think there should be some sort of incentive to
upgrade though?

Please keep in mind, we're trying to maintain a rather delicate balance
between bleeding edge and stability, which isn't a trivial thing to do,
We're doing our best, and open to suggestions.

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'
Post by Tony White
+1 here....
best wishes
Tony White
Eric Shubert
2014-09-24 00:17:24 UTC
Post by Philip
Hello Eric
I am pretty sure there are still a lot of "legacy" qmail toaster running
completely stopping support isnt the best to do I think
There arent that many packages to update, beside clamav and maybe this
time spamassassin, rest is frozen
I haven't completely stopped support of legacy packages. I've always
said that clamav would be supported there for a while. I'm not inclined
to do this version of spamassassin because it's a .0 version, and it
requires a patch (granted, I have the patch already, but only because I
created it myself).

Perhaps I'll get around to doing a legacy 3.4.1 if/when it's released. I
also think I mentioned that if someone wants to roll the srpm for 3.4.0,
I'd be happy to put it on the mirrors.
Post by Philip
But just being limited to centos5 and 6 , no more fedora or centos7(yet)
or any rpm base distrib that could be easily tweaked ...
lesser work but lesser user too at the end .. if you are limited to only
1 distrib
The more time I spend on supporting legacy package releases, the later
COS7 support will arrive. So which would you prefer?

I don't think being limited to COS at this point is much of a drawback.
QMT is typically run on a host with nothing else, so I think the choice
of distro is pretty meaningless. For example, I run ProxmoxVE, which
uses debian package management (with a RHEL kernel!). It doesn't really
bother me because nothing else runs directly on that host.

Once QMT arrives in COS7 land, it should be much easier than before to
build it for any other rpm based distro, and even debian/ubuntu. This is
because it will be using standard system facilities for services
(systemd) and logging (rsyslog), and the pieces will be more loosely
coupled than they've been in the past. For instance, clamav and
spamassassin no longer rely on qmail/daemontools at all, and could even
be easily set up to run on a separate host. This makes QMT much easier
to scale, among other things.

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'
Eric Shubert
2014-10-04 19:53:28 UTC
Anyone else? I'd like to promote it to current, but I'd feel better
about it if there were just a couple more people using it.

Thanks.
--
-Eric 'shubes'